Work for RSF
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) is an international NGO that defends and promotes media freedom and has consultative status with the United Nations, UNESCO, the Council of Europe and the International Organization of the Francophonie.
With a headquarters in Paris, bureaux in 12 cities worldwide (including Washington, Brussels, Tunis and Rio de Janeiro) and a network of correspondents in 130 countries, we are able to mobilize support for our campaigns, to challenge governments and to wield influence.
Reporters Without Borders / Reporters sans Frontières (RSF) is recruiting
Call for interest : Construction of the social business plan of Radio Erena, an Eritrean radio station based in Paris
Radio Erena is the only independent Eritrean news radio station, that has been broadcasting from Paris since June 2009. The media is supported by Reporters Without Borders (RSF), an organization that was founded in 1985 and which monitors respect for freedom of information.
Purpose of this assignment
Ever since its launch in June 2009, Radio Erena has relied on the support of RSF, which is responsible for financing and managing it, and doing its fund-raising. But Radio Erena now needs to become independent of RSF so that it can survive and develop in a completely autonomous manner. It is registered as a non-profit association in France.
One of the main objectives at the moment is to make sure that the finances of the association will be ensured in the long term, and that all the available sources of financing are envisaged and exploited. The assignment thus aims at the following objective: to define a realistic and sustainable economic model for Radio Erena, and help implement it.
Preference will be given to applications by a consultant or group of consultants with proven expertise and proposing an appropriate work methodology.
The following skills are desired:
- Expertise in the creation of social business plans, preferably for media and / or associations;
- Experience in fundraising, and working with institutional, public or private donors;
- Knowledge of media and, if possible, radio stations in particular;
- Fluent spoken and written English.
The budget available for this assignment is €24,000 maximum, inclusive of all taxes. This has to include all the expenses required to execute the assignment (fees, possible travel expenses, etc.).
How to apply
Consultants interested in applying for the assignment of constructing a social business plan for Radio Erena association should express their interest by sending an email including the CV of the potential consultants, by 23 October (11.59 pm) at the latest to:
The full terms of reference will then be communicated to them.
UK MENA project consultant (contingent upon funding)
Start date: November 2018
Location: London, with some international travel
Contract: Full time over nine months, with the possibility of renewal for up to three years, contingent upon funding
Reporters Without Borders - known internationally as Reporters sans frontières (RSF) - is an independent NGO working internationally to promote and defend freedom of the press. RSF UK is seeking a full-time consultant to coordinate RSF’s activities within the co-creation phase of a consortium project focussed on Lebanon, Libya, and Egypt.
- Manage and implement all of RSF’s activities within the consortium project in line with RSF’s Paris headquarters, including coordination with RSF’s Tunis bureau and RSF correspondents and partners in Lebanon, Libya, and Egypt.
- Design mechanisms for the implementation of all of RSF’s project activities, and develop these into a methodology applicable to a full three-year project period.
- Organise and take part in assessment missions and partner meetings in the project countries and possibly additional international locations.
- Regularly monitor and report on press freedom and related developments within the project countries.
- Advise on RSF’s advocacy strategy with regard to the project countries, and coordinate relevant advocacy events and other activities in the UK and internationally.
- Lead on all project financial, narrative, and administrative reporting.
- Undergraduate degree in a relevant field of study required.
- Postgraduate degree in a relevant field of study desirable.
- A minimum of five years of experience in NGO project implementation required. Geographical focus on the MENA region, and thematic focus on media, press freedom, and/or broader human rights desirable.
- Excellent organisational skills and attention to detail are required.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills are required.
- Excellent research skills are required.
- Fluent English is essential.
- Fluent Arabic is essential.
- Knowledge of the French language is desirable.
- The ability to travel to the project countries is essential.
- Personal commitment to RSF’s mission is expected.
To apply: Applicants should send a CV, covering letter, and two writing samples to email@example.com by 12 October. Interviews will take place on 18 October.