News

April 4, 2018

Car bomb explodes outside Montenegrin crime reporter’s home

Sead Sadikovic / Vijesti
Reporters Without Borders (RSF) calls on the Montenegrin authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into last weekend’s car bomb explosion outside a crime reporter’s home in Bijelo Polje, in northeastern Montenegro, and to quickly bring those responsible to justice.

The bomb exploded late on the night of 1 April outside the home of Sead Sadikovic, who specializes in covering corruption and organized crime for the independent TV channel TV Vijesti. The police said yesterday that the bomb was “probably linked” to his reporting. An investigation is under way and two arrests have been made.


We call on Montenegro’s authorities to conduct a thorough investigation into this bombing, whose target was almost certainly a journalist, to identify those behind it, and to provide adequate protection to the journalist, who had been threatened,” said Pauline Adès-Mével, the head of RSF’s European Union and Balkans desk.

Although Prime Minister Dusko Markovic insists that security is guaranteed in his country, this attack – the seventh of its kind since the start of the year – is a clear indication of the climate that now prevails for journalists trying to cover such subjects as corruption and organized crime.”


Montenegro is ranked 106th out of 180 countries in RSF's 2017 World Press Freedom Index.