UK Bureau Director
UK Bureau Director
Responsible to: Secretary-General
Start date: September 2022
Location: London (with the possibility of some domestic and international travel)
Annual salary: £45,000-£55,000 (commensurate with experience)
Working hours: Full time (37.5 hours per week)
Reporters Without Borders - known internationally as Reporters sans frontières (RSF) - is an independent NGO working globally to promote the freedom, pluralism and independence of journalism. RSF is seeking a UK bureau director to manage the operations of the UK office, support global advocacy and campaign strategies, and lead in developing and implementing RSF’s policies towards the UK.
- Serve as the Director of RSF’s UK bureau. Manage relations with the UK board of directors and the UK advisory board.
- Manage the day-to-day operations of the London bureau, including responsibility for bureau accounting and financial reporting and line-managing UK-based staff.
- Monitor press freedom issues in the UK and propose relevant actions (proactive and/or corrective) in coordination with the corresponding departments and desks at RSF’s Paris headquarters.
- Act as RSF’s spokesperson in the UK and represent RSF at external events and meetings.
- Develop and implement RSF’s advocacy policy in the UK, and support the implementation of priority global campaigns, in accordance with the mandate of the organisation.
- Lead RSF’s fundraising efforts in the UK, including for core support and specific projects.
- Lead public relations activity in the UK in collaboration with Paris headquarters (e.g. disseminating press releases, reports, and recommendations and making contributions to RSF’s global initiatives).
- A minimum of eight years of relevant experience working in press freedom, human rights, or journalism (required).
- An undergraduate degree in social sciences, law, journalism, or other fields (required).
- Strong project management skills.
- Knowledge of press freedom issues and challenges (strongly preferred).
- Exceptional communication, organisational, and interpersonal skills.
- Proven track record in partner engagement, mobilising initiatives, and fundraising.
- Experience developing and implementing advocacy strategies.
- High level of media competency and experience serving as a spokesperson.
- Adept at networking and cultivating professional relationships outside of the organisation.
- Ability to innovate, adapt and problem-solve.
- Experience studying or working in a multicultural or international setting (strongly preferred).
- Personal commitment to RSF’s mission is expected.
Travel, languages, and work permit:
- The position is based in London, and applications for remote work from other parts of the UK will not be considered.
- Some domestic and overseas travel should be expected (public health and safety conditions permitting).
- Fluency in English and working capacity in French is required.
- Other languages are a plus, but not required.
To apply for this position, please submit a covering letter, CV, and two writing samples to [email protected] by 5 September 2022.