A free press is essential to our democracy. Communities everywhere rely on journalists to report on our government’s actions and hold public figures accountable, providing us with the information we need to make decisions every day.
43%Negative ViewForty-three percent of Americans have a negative view of the news media
Source: Knight Foundation
Unfortunately, attacks on journalists in the United States are becoming more common, undermining the media's role and creating opportunities for government overreach, the erosion of press freedom, and impeding our right to be informed. You can read more about these incidents here.
Eighty-four percent of Americans think media plays a critical role in our democracy
Source: Knight Foundation
As the US midterm elections approach, we must remind our congressional candidates that journalists play a crucial role in our democracy by keeping us informed and holding those in power accountable.
Use the tools below to contact your candidates running for Congress this November and demand to know where they stand on press freedom. Press freedom is not a partisan issue: it is a fundamental right that impacts every American, no matter their politics. Contact your candidates now to #DefendPressFreedom!
Find Your CandidatesStep 1
Use this toolkit to ask your candidates how they plan to #DefendPressFreedom if elected to Congress.
Talk to Your Candidates
Send a Letter
Do More for Press Freedom Step 3
Already contacted your candidates? Here are more ways to #DefendPressFreedom:
- Sign up to receive campaign updates as Election Day approaches and receive a free, downloadable copy of the #DefendPressFreedom toolkit
- Share this page with your friends, family, and network
- Learn about the decline of press freedom in the United States
- Visit the World Press Freedom Index to learn about press freedom around the world
- Become a member of Reporters Without Borders USA and help us fight for freedom of the press and information
Thank you for reaching out to your congressional candidates to #DefendPressFreedom! Together, we can turn the tide and ensure our democracy has a free and independent press.
- Capital Gazette, "Five Capital Gazette employees dead after shooting"
- Columbia Journalism Review, "How an investigative journalist helped prove a city was being poisoned with its own water"
- Knight Foundation, "American Views: Trust, Media and Democracy."
- Reporters Without Borders, Press Release for #DefendPressFreedom Campaign
- US Press Freedom Tracker
- USA Today, "Montana congressman Greg Gianforte to get mugshot, fingerprints for 'body slam' of reporter"
- Vox, "The reporting that dethroned Harvey Weinstein and sparked a reckoning just won a Pulitzer Prize"